A good proportion of chronic diseases is, in principle, avoidable. We examine the determinants of increased and decreased all-cause and cause-specific mortality.
For this purpose we do not restrict to established risk factors like smoking, alcohol abuse and obesity, but also consider alternative and subjective determinants like
self-rated health, socio-cultural and environmental factors. Behavioral data is
retrieved from studies conducted in the 1970s to 1990s for which a mortality
follow-up until 2016 could be established through record linkage with the
!Swiss National Cohort. A special emphasis is given to anthropometrics
and physical activity.
- Independent at heart: persistent association of altitude with
ischemic heart disease mortality after consideration of climate,
topography and built environment - a longitudinal cohort study.
Faeh D, Moser A, Panczak R, Bopp M, Röösli M, Spoerri A.
- Heavy smoking is more strongly associated with
general unhealthy lifestyle than obesity and underweight.
Lohse T, Rohrmann S, Bopp M, Chiolero A, Faeh D.
PLoS ONE 2016;11(2):e0148563
- Adherence to cancer prevention
recommendations and mortality: a census-linked cohort.
Lohse T, Faeh D, Bopp M, Rohrmann S.
Am J of Clin Nutr 2016;104:678-685
- The change in the sex ratio in multiple sclerosis is driven by birth cohorts effects.
Ajdacic-Gross V, Schmid M, Mütsch M, Steinemann N, Von Wyl V, Bopp M.
Eur J Neurology 2017;24:98-104
- Type A personality and mortality: Competitiveness
but not speed is associated with increased risk.
Lohse T, Rohrmann S, Richard A, Bopp M, Faeh D.
- Body height and mortality - mortality follow-up of four Swiss surveys.
Rohrmann S, Haile SR, Staub K, Bopp M, Faeh D.
Prev Med 2017;101:67-71
- Individual development and potential
determinants of excess weight – a longitudinal study.
Papandreou A, Bopp M, Braun J, Staub K, Faeh D.
Swiss Med Wkly 2017;147:w14501
- Which life domains impact most on self-rated health?
A cross-cultural study of Switzerland and its neighbors.
Häusler N, Hämmig O, Bopp M.
Social Indicators Research 2018;139:782-802
- Medical end-of-life practices in Swiss cultural regions: a death certificate study
Hurst SA, Zellweger U, Bosshard G, Bopp M.
BMC Medicine 2018;16:54
- BMI-mortality-association: shape independent of
smoking status but different for chronic lung disease and lung cancer.
Faeh D, Kaufmann M, Haile SR, Bopp M.
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2018;13:1851-1855
- Physician-related determinants of medical end-of-life
decisions – a mortality follow-back study in Switzerland.
Bopp M, Penders YWH, Hurst SA, Bosshard G, Puhan MA.
PLoS ONE 2018;13(9):e020396